I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Monday, January 17, 2005

A Startling Look Into the World That Is

What is it about VH1 programming that's so frigg'n addictive? I literally cannot stop watching it, whether it's I Love The [Decade] or the top 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs, or the Hundred Greatest Metal Moments, or whatever. It's damn well fascinating. You're lucky I can see the TV from my computer chair is all I'm saying.

The Daily Schedule of updates here on the ISB makes me fear that I'm going to run out of things to say pretty quickly. Fortunately, I've got things like today's All Star Lunch to talk about.

The All-Stars in question were returning fan-favorites Chris and Tug, along with senses-shattering guest stars Scott, Matt G, Chad, Phil, and, as a special treat for the ladies, Shaka. We talked about Twin Peaks, the Prisoner, comics, and the waitress remembered how fast I drink. It was a good time, especially in light of a frustrating paycheck situation that was pretty frustrating for us. I said I was worried because the month is halfway up and I haven't lived up to my resolution of writing something once a month. Phil and Chad told me that this thing counts, but I dunno. Is it really helping me to be a better comics writer? Oh well, if it comes down to it, I've got that Top 10 List and the Shaft bit that I can count under the "Humorous Essay" portion of the resolution. Rock on!

Having Phil there for a big Dragon shindig was pretty fun. We talked a little about a conversation we'd had on Saturday. Phil wants to do a 24 Hour Comics day at the shop, and I told him I already knew what mine would be about. It'd be called "Are You Ready For KIRBY?" and feature a lot of full-page shots and double-page spreads alternated with pages chock full of crazy angle panels. It's an idea that spins out of a Comics Club meeting that Phil and I spent passing notes to each other in true Junior High fashion. The subject was a comic idea he had called the New Adventures of Jack Kirby, and after I drew a picture, he started drawing the covers for our imaginary collaboration. He'd pass them to me and I, the Stan to his Jack, would write the adjective-laden cover copy. My favorite was Kirby yelling: "WHATEVER YA DO, DON'T BUY THIS COMIC!" with incredulous cover copy referring to the story inside as "THE RAY-GUN THAT BROKE THE 4TH WALL!"

I was so bored Saturday night that I drew the first page of my comic. And yes, he's chucking a WorldBomb at the reader. It's supposed to be a fuse.

And now you know why I want to be a writer, and not an artist.

As a sidenote, Melanie finally recieved her Hellaciously Awesome Christmas Presents, incluing a sketch of John Constantine that Todd Nauck did when he stopped by the store. He's a really nice guy, and if you haven't read Willdguard, it's coming out in trade pretty soon, so do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Wow. I just found out the most interesting thing looking for a good link for JC that wasn't the movie site. You know that football player, Johnny Unitas? His full name is John Constantine Unitas. How weird is that?

You learn something every day here on the Invincible Super-Blog.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phil Looney said...

Looks like Matt and Shaka need to jump on and get some sort of web presence.

1/18/2005 1:51 PM

 
Blogger Jim Shelley said...

Stop the Fucking Presses:

THE OMAC PROJECT #1
Written by Greg Rucka
Art by Jesus Saiz
Cover by Jose Ladrónn

Spinning from the events of DC COUNTDOWN and IDENTITY CRISIS, a crackerjack thriller by Greg Rucka (ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, WONDER WOMAN) comes to life in the brooding, gorgeous art of Jesus Saiz (MANHUNTER) in a 6-issue miniseries featuring covers by Jose Ladrónn that can't be missed!

Every hero and villain in the DCU is under the gaze of an unbelievably powerful spy satellite. It's a technological marvel that answers to only one person — and he's got plans for it that are completely unknown to the superspy organization he controls: Checkmate!

In a world where men can fly and melt metal with their eyes, there's now an army created specifically as an answer to them: a One Man Army Corps. Batman and an old ally are about to learn the chilling truth behind the OMAC Project — but will they work with or against each other?
On sale April 27 • 1 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US Edited by Joan Hilty

1/18/2005 8:29 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

I KNOW! I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!

1/18/2005 8:35 PM

 
Blogger Davenz said...

Thanks for the nice article..

Regards
bowling team shirts

7/29/2010 5:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home