I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Sunday, February 27, 2005

No Desperate Housewives or Boston Legal Makes Chris A Dull Boy

Right now I'm watching Voltron breakdance. Excuse me... I... I have something in my eye. It's just so beautiful..

I forgot to mention it on Friday, but I finished up my script for Gone To Texas, Phil Looney's Western anthology. The artist for the story is J.M. Hunter, and so far he's been great to work with. He's been really open to my art suggestions, and he's even helped out with some rough dialogue I wasn't satisfied with, so I think it's going to work out okay. Hopefully I'll have some concept art soon, and you can check it out here on the ISB.

The story's called "The Wages of Sin," and it's about a bad guy who becomes the sheriff of a small town out west, but then his past catches up with him in the form of a gunslinging Pinkerton detective. It's pretty cliche, I guess, but what're you gonna do with six pages? There are a couple bits of dialogue in it I like though.

Writing a six-page mini-comic was pretty hard for me. It's not a lot of space to work with, especially since it's a mini-comic (about half the page size of a regular comic). Warren Ellis once mentioned a rule Stan Lee came up with about not having more than twenty words of dialogue per panel, so I tried to stick with that since I don't want to cover up too much of the art. Also, I tried to keep to a six panel grid (usually four square panels and a fifth one running the width of the page) so there'd be enough space for Hunter to work. If nothing else, it'll give me an idea of how much I can cram into the comics page.

Before I wrote it, I watched Yojimbo, on loan from Chad (Criterion Collection, biznatch!). Since it was remade as A Fistful of Dollars (and is itself apparently an uncredited film version of Dashiell Hammet's Red Harvest), it had a definite western feel to it, and some awesome dialogue. For example:

SANJURO: Get me a coffin.
GONJI: Don't give up yet!
SANJURO: I'm not dying. I have quite a few men to kill first.

That is bad ass.

I wanted to put The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on while I wrote to have some appropriate background noise, but the DVD I had of it didn't work. Wouldn't even load up a menu. Hopefully, I can exchange it for the special edition, which I believe contains over twenty-three restored minutes of Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and Lee Van Cleef staring each other down.

Man. That movie's awesome. When Lee Van Cleef walks into that guy's house in the beginning and just sits down and starts eating the guy's soup like it's no big deal... I believe the phrase I want is "super-pumped."

Oh, and while we're on the subject, does anybody out there know what the name of this page's music is? I frigg'n love that piece, but I have no idea where I can find it. I'm pretty sure it's Ennio Morricone, and I've seen it used in everything from Kids in the Hall to, well, Red Dead Revolver, but I've never seen the title. It's driving me nuts.

Also, I'm thinking of adding a "Best of the ISB" links section to the sidebar there. Best being a relative term in this case. Thoughts?

11 Comments:

Blogger Mon-El said...

http://batcave27.blogspot.com/2005/02/supergirl-from-krypton.html

Let the war begin.

:)

2/28/2005 12:21 AM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

Man, Yojimbo is an awesome movie. I haven't seen the in a couple years.

2/28/2005 9:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simms,
Hope you don't mind me invading your blog but I just sent you the start of some concept artwork esp. for the main character.

And I just got said dvd you're talking about, the Good, the bad, the ect.

Now on to more drawing. The script is good stuff, (shiznit).
-Hunter

3/02/2005 10:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The special edition dvd is totally worth it

3/28/2007 12:06 PM

 
Anonymous Brendan said...

Pretty effective material, much thanks for your article.
here

9/17/2011 4:07 PM

 
Blogger adam clean said...

ارخص و افضل شركات نقل العفش في المدينة المنورة تلك الشركات التي تقدم افضل الخدمات الخاصة كما في شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة تلك الخدمات تكون بمنتهى الدقة والاحترافية وتمتلك سيارات مجهزة خصيصا لنقل العفش من مكان الى مكان آخر بعد تنظيف المكان الجديد من قبل شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة قبل نقل العفش اليها لكي يتم ترتيب عفشك على نظافة وقد تقوم في الحال شركه تنظيف خزانات بالمدينه المنوره بعمل تنظيف وتعقيم لخزان المياه خاصتك لضمان سلامة ونقاء مياهك وايضا تقوم شركة تنظيف كنب بالمدينة المنورة بتقديم خدمات تنظيف وغسيل المفروشات والكنب والموكيت والستائر وتعقيم المنزل كاملا وتقدم شركات مكافحه الحشرات بالمدينه المنوره خدمات رش المبيدات الحشرية لكي يتم تعقيم المنزل كاملا من البكتيريا والجراثيم الضارة

2/01/2020 5:37 AM

 
Blogger adam clean said...

من افضل شركات منطقة مكة المكرمة التي تعمل في مجال تنظيف وتعقيم المنازل تلك الشركة الجيدة التي تقدم خدمات جيدة في تنظيف المنازل من الداخل ومن الخارج وتسمى شركه تنظيف منازل بجده وهي التي تختص بأعمال التنظيف للمنازل الجديدة والمفروشة في مدينة جدة والتي تقوم بها افضل شركه تنظيف فلل لها خبرة طويلة بالمجال
وقد تقوم تلك الشركات في جدة ايضا بتقديم خدمات غسيل المفروشات والكنب والسجاد تحت مسمى آخر مثل شركة تنظيف كنب بالبخار بجدة وتقوم تلك الشركات بتقديم تلك الخدمات بأسعار جيدة وخدمات مقبولة

2/01/2020 5:38 AM

 
Blogger خدماتي said...

شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالمدينة المنورة : افضل شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالمدينة المنورة وارخص شركة صيانة مكيفات بالمدينة المنورة وشركة تركيب مكيفات بالمدينة و شركة غسيل مكيفات بالمدينة المنورة وشركة نظافة مكيفات بالمدينة .

شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة : افضل شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة وافضل شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة وارخص شركة عزل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة وارخص شركة تعقيم خزانات بالمدينة المنورة و تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة .

7/06/2021 6:38 PM

 
Blogger خدماتي said...

كهربائي بالظهران
: فني كهربائي بالدمام و كهربائي بالدمام و كهربائي بالقطيف
والظهران والجبيل والاحساء وجميع مدن المنطقة الشرقية ومعلم كهربائي بالدمام وكهربائي منازل بالدمام.
سباك بالظهران
: سباك بالدمام ومعلم سباك بالدمام و سباك بالقطيف
وسباك بالظهران وسباك بالجبيل وسباك بالاحساء وجميع مدن المنطقة الشرقية ومعلم سباك وفني سباك .

7/06/2021 6:39 PM

 
Blogger خدماتي said...


شركة نقل عفش بالدمام و شركة نقل عفش بالجبيل وشركة نقل عفش بالخبر وشركة نقل عفش بالاحساء وشركة نقل عفش بالقطيف وشركة نقل عفش بالظهران و نقل عفش بالدمام و جميع انحاء المملكة وجميع انحاء المنطقة الشرقية

شركة نقل عفش بالخبر : شركة نقل عفش بالخبر وشركة نقل عفش بالقطيف و شركة نقل عفش بالظهران وشركة نقل عفش بالاحساء وشركة نقل عفش بالدمام و نقل عفش بالظهران ونقل عفش بجميع انحاء المملكة وجميع انحاء المنطقة الشرقية

7/06/2021 6:40 PM

 
Blogger خدماتي said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام : افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام وافضل شركة رش حشرات بالدمام وارخص شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام ورش مكافحة الحشرات بالدمام والخبر والقطيف والظهران و شركة رش حشرات بالظهران

شركة غسيل كنب بالدمام : شركة غسيل كنب بالدمام وشركة تنظيف كنب بالدمام تقدم افضل خدمات غسيل الكنب وغسيل السجاد وغسيل المجالس وتنظيف الكنب وتنظيف السجاد وتنظيف المجالس وغسيل المدارس بالدمام والمنطقة الشرقية

شركة تنظيف كنب بالدمام : شركة تنظيف كنب بالدمام وشركة غسيل كنب بالدمام تقدم افضل خدمات غسيل الكنب وغسيل السجاد وغسيل المجالس وتنظيف الكنب وتنظيف السجاد وتنظيف المجالس وغسيل المدارس بالدمام والمنطقة الشرقية

7/06/2021 6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home