I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Monday, September 26, 2005

The Savage World of 1984!

Tonight's ISB Selection: Badass Panels From Captain America #194

THE MADBOMB!  It can destroy the world!
This was the first Marvel comic I ever read, and when I was four years old, it terrified me. I finally got around to re-reading it Saturday after nineteen years, and was only mildly frightened.

That dude's a one-man army!
Here's what's going on: Attempting to track down The Madbomb!, a device that drives anyone within its range into a psychotic rage, Cap and the Falcon have been ambushed and captured by an underground militia bent on eradicating the US government and replacing them with an entrenched aristocracy, installing a series of hereditary leaders from rich families and therefore subverting the ideals our country stands for.

[Cough]

Hi, I'm completely insane.
Uh, anyway, they bust out of the prison that holds the Elite's failed experiments--because it just wouldn't be a Kirby book without some Hairies, or Weirdies, or Un-Men, or whatever he wanted to call them this week--and meet up with insane aristocrat daddy's girl Cheer Chadwick, who takes a liking to our heroes and leads them to see the machinations of the Elite's Master Plan, including their "love machine."

Not exactly what WASP was singing about.
That's the part that scared me as a kid. At four years old, I apparently had a severe phobia of fascist mob violence. And besides...

All Hail Republican Max Headroom!
Try telling me this guy doesn't give you the jibblies.

Damn, girl.
If I'd been a little older, I probably would've stuck around to get terrified instead by Tinkerbelle, a large angry black woman who takes out Cap AND the Falcon in between rounds of the Elite's favorite competitor sport, which also gives me my absolute favorite "next issue" blurb of all time:

Holy Crap!

4 Comments:

Blogger Phil Looney said...

That was a book I got when I was a kid and ordered some random stuff from Mile High Comics (including Spider-Woman #1, which was like $.50 and is now going for $25!). I don't even remember reading that issue of Cap.

9/27/2005 8:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Freedom Freaks" and "The Love Machine". How did I miss this one??

9/27/2005 10:19 AM

 
Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Always loved the Madbomb arc! One of Kirby's best stories after he returned to Marvel. I'm borrowing one of the panels for a bit of snarkiness on my blog. Hope it's OK!

5/31/2006 2:29 AM

 
Blogger Whiteford Family said...

My cousin gave this one to me a few years prior to 1984 and I remember thinking about it after that year had come and gone. :)

8/18/2007 12:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home