I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Unfortunate Sound Effects of The Savage She-Hulk

I spent a good amount of time reading through The Essential Savage She-Hulk today, and let me tell you: Even for a book where a giant green woman rampages around Los Angeles wrecking cars and jacking up the occasional mobster so that he'll turn State's Evidence, that thing's got a lot of sound effects.

Page for page, it might just be the noisiest comic I've ever read, and considering that I consider a panel without an explosion to be a panel wasted, that's saying something.

And they're not just the regular kind, either. I'm only a few issues in, and already I've counted three TBUNGs, along with KRIMPLLL, DAKRUNCH, and, my personal favorite, KAR-CROOM--a sound effect that, considering it's the noise made by Shulkie chucking a Volkswagen at an eighteen-wheeler, really should've been "KAR-TRUK!"

There is, however, one sound effect right at the climax of Savage She-Hulk #2 that stands out even among those, one that writer David Anthony Kraft maybe should've thought about a little harder before he went ahead and slapped it onto a a scene where a buxom green Amazon stomps around in a ripped-up hospital gown:



I mean really: That's got to be the most judgemental lamppost in comics history.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the Essential line come with color now, or have you been playing with photoshop?

8/28/2006 2:04 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

The colorized sound effects are my doing, but if Marvel really did start putting out versions where the sound effects--and only the sound effects--were rendered in vivid, glorious color, I would totally buy them all.

That's just how I roll.

8/28/2006 2:07 AM

 
Blogger Exwai-z said...

KRIMPLLLL

8/28/2006 3:22 AM

 
Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

The lamp post makes a fair point. That ripped dress leaves nothing to the imagination.

8/28/2006 10:35 AM

 
Blogger Art Williams said...

Perhaps that is not a sound effect, but She Hulk herself yelling after her prey.

8/28/2006 12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have ESSENTIAL SHE-HULK????

SAVAGE She-Hulk??

What ISN'T "ESSENTIAL" at Marvel?

Pretty soon they'll be releasing "ESSENTIAL US-1"

*sigh*...I'm gonna have to get it anyway.

If for nothing else the MAN-THING and RICHARD RORY appearances.

DAMN YOU, MARVEL!!

~P~
P-TOR

8/28/2006 12:57 PM

 
Blogger Brandon Bragg said...

Is She Hulk hanging out under an overpass in that last panel?

8/28/2006 1:15 PM

 
Blogger Jon said...

There is literally no way I wouldn't buy Essential US-1.

I'm hoping they do Rom sooner or later. I need four or five phonebooks of a run I could probably buy for eleven dollars as single issues.

8/28/2006 1:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect (though I'm willing to be told otherwise) that they'd have problems reprinting Rom due to copyright issues.

I totally had no idea that white thing She-Hulk wandered around in was a hospital gown. (A... really solidly made hospital gown, I guess.) I'd always (well, for some definition of "alwats" that means "occasionally noticed while reading very old copies of Savage She-Hulk".) Thanks, Chris!

Brandon -- Yeah, she's "roadside."

8/28/2006 6:55 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

What exactly is not essential about US 1--or, as we know it around the ISB, the greatest series of all time?

8/28/2006 8:34 PM

 
Blogger John Jakala said...

OMG! I love that "SKANK" panel! I want it on a T-shirt!

Now I have the urge to thumb through my Essentials to try to find a sound effect that can outdo "SKANK" (although I suspect it can't be topped).

Nice work on coloring the sound effects, by the way. They really pop out like that.

"uusvxjf!" -- hmm, not sure when that sound effect would ever come into play.

8/28/2006 11:41 PM

 
Blogger Chris Jart said...

That is classic! It seems really uncalled for and right out of nowhere. Perhaps the lamp post is jealous of She-Hulks non-lamp post shape?

9/03/2006 2:20 PM

 
Blogger nuch said...

Thanks for sharing about sound effect have a look at
Sound Engineering in Chennai
Sound Engineering Colleges in Chennai
School Of Audio Engineering Chennai
Audio Engineering In Chennai
Best Sound Engineering Colleges in Chennai

8/15/2019 4:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home